Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Shrimp and Crab with Black Lentil

So today in NYC it was really cold. The temperature was in the mid-20s most of the day with a windchill routinely in the teens. Obviously that means I go to Hale and Hearty and get soup. One soup that I saw yesterday on the menu was the Shrimp and Crab with Black Lentil. The odd thing is that I didn't see it on the menu for today. I was disappointed because I really wanted to try it, but lo and behold, there it was today again. M tried this soup about 3 years ago, but neither of us remember that. The soup is described as "This soup combines shrimp and crab with exotic black lentils and chipotle peppers to give a little kick."


The cup doesn't look that full, but that's okay. The soup is really thick and hearty. It's chock full of black lentils, red pepper, onion, celery, scallions, tomato, crab, and shrimp. I only got 1.5 shrimp in this spooning, but that's okay because I got quite a bit of crab. Normally you only see those pieces that look stringy, but I got a couple really nice sized chunks of crab meat. The soup itself had a nice smokey flavor but only in the beginning. The more I had of it the less smokey it got, and the more chicken broth-y it got. Overall this soup had really good flavor, and it's one of those warming, stick-to-your-ribs type of soup. Perfect for today's weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment