Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Chick'n Shack

Last week, we heard some really great news - Shake Shack was finally rolling out their fried chicken sandwich, the Chick'n Shack, all across the country (other than the airport, ballparks, and Times Square locations). We had been wanting to try this for a while, but since it was only available in Brooklyn, never got around to it. Each sandwich is currently $6.29, and consists of a crispy chicken breast (all natural and antibiotic-free) with lettuce, pickles, and a buttermilk herb mayo. We were up on the Upper East Side this past weekend visiting some museums, so it seemed like a perfect time to get some crispy chicken sandwiches.


M's review:

As I mentioned in last year's favorites list, I am a huge fan of fried chicken sandwiches, and I couldn't wait for the day when Shake Shack would finally roll this out outside of Brooklyn. This was a really good sandwich. Probably doesn't replace Bobwhite as my favorite, but still quite good. First, I like that they used a crispy chicken breast, even though the recent wave has been a lot of dark meat sandwiches, since I do prefer that. The chicken here was really juicy and not the least bit dry. It also seemed slightly larger than the usual chicken size at Chick-fil-A.

The chicken was really the star of the show. The flavoring of the chicken and the breading was great, which leads me to what I liked least about the sandwich - the buttermilk herb mayo. I felt like the mayo was a little too salty and a little too much. When I took a bite of the entire sandwich all together, the strong, salty flavor of the mayo really drowned out the excellent flavoring of the crispy chicken itself. Lucky for me, the mayo was piled on the most in the first half of the sandwich, so when I got to the back half, it was much lighter and the chicken was able to shine through. I think the sandwich would have been much better with half the mayo. The lettuce and pickles were good additions to the sandwich, giving it a little bit of crunch and lightness. Overall, it was good and I would get it again.


A's review:

I was really excited to finally get a chance to try the famed Chick'n Shack. Since we don't like travelling to Brooklyn for things we can easily get in Manhattan, we didn't think we'd ever get the opportunity to eat these.

The sandwich itself starts out with the soft, pillowy bun that Shake Shack has for all of its burgers. I'm disappointed in myself because I didn't actually taste the chicken on its own. The sandwich as a whole was pretty good, though. The chicken was nice and crunchy, and the lettuce and pickles were fresh and tart (well, just the pickles for tartness). The herb mayo was a touch heavy. It overpowered most of the sandwich because of just how much was slathered on. If it were cut in half, I think the sandwich would have been better. I'll still get it again, though, because that's a very minor issue to fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment