Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Marc Murphy's Beef Barley Soup with Mushrooms and Kale

I feel like I should have gotten this soup yesterday when I was being pelted by wind and snow, but I opted to finally try the second offering from Hale and Hearty's 2014 Chef's Series soups. Chef Marc Murphy offers up a wonderfully hearty soup that's full of flavor. According to the website: "We are proud to bring you this soup from acclaimed Chef Marc Murphy. This delicious Landmarc soup is made from farm fresh vegetables, tender braised beef and succulent oyster mushrooms." Now, I don't know if Chef Murphy actually does serve this soup at Landmarc, but it's certainly a delicious, rich winter soup.

Rich and Comforting Soup

The picture above doesn't quite capture the proper color as it's more of a darker brown and less of the reddish color that my camera picked up. I also had to retake my picture which is why the cup doesn't look 100% full. This soup is started with the classic mirepoix of carrots, onions, and celery and is then enhanced with chopped kale and oyster mushrooms. The soup itself is finished with cubes of beef, barley, and spices. I can't place all of the spices, but the one that I got a good hit of from time to time was cumin. M and I are huge fans of cumin, and it pairs so well with red meat.

Overall this is an extremely comforting and warming soup. The beef is stewed to point of being extremely tender while still offering a nice bite to it, and the barley is cooked to a perfect chewiness. A lot of people think kale is a fad vegetable, but I hope it stays. I like how it's used here in the soup as the leaves and stem offer more bite than spinach would, and they're so nutrient rich. If it snows again tomorrow like it's supposed to, I might just have to go out and grab another order of Chef Murphy's soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment