Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Coconut Curry Butternut Squash

Continuing my trend of eating any and all Hale and Hearty Chef's Series soups, I ventured out in the cold today to sample Andrew Carmellini's offering of Coconut Curry Butternut Squash. The website describes it as "This fantastic soup from James Beard award winning Chef Andrew Carmellini blends the smoothness of butternut squash with the gentle heat of fresh ginger and sweet coconut milk, making the soup both rich and savory."

I wasn't really sure what to expect when I got the soup as butternut squash is inherently sweet, but the blend of ginger and curry spices are much more savory. Coconut milk could balance out with additional sweetness, but in the end I decided to stop thinking and just be intrigued.

Not the expected color...

This was not the color I was expecting from this soup. Because of the butternut squash I envisioned a more orange tinted soup, but this was a green-ish color that, to be very honest, was not the most appetizing in appearance. I ignored that, though, as the flavor profile still sounded good. It's hard to describe this flavor because it at first seems like the different flavors are fighting each other, but it harmonizes after the first sip. The smooth, rich soup hits you with spices and a sharp ginger hit before rolling over your tongue with the sweetness from the coconut and butternut squash.

Overall, I'm not sure what I think about this soup. It's amazingly complex yet so simple looking. The myriad of changing flavors confused me at first but was quite pleasant in the end. I don't know if I would get this again as I almost feel too stupid to fully understand the depth of this soup, but who knows, maybe with more eating (ha!) I'll begin to fully appreciate what this offered.

No comments:

Post a Comment