Monday, February 11, 2013

"Breadsticks"

I don't eat a lot of breadsticks these days. Not thick cheesy ones or the thin crispy ones. In fact, these days, when I hear "breadsticks," my first thought is Glee. (Sad, I know.) Word association definitely has changed over the years.

We had some Celeste breadsticks in the back of the freezer that were expiring this month, so we finally made them today. Celeste microwave pizza is one of those "guilty pleasure" and "childhood memory" type foods that I used to eat all the time and still have a bit of a weakness for, but I've never tried the breadsticks before.

Not really "new" anymore, but they were when I bought them, whenever that was

Despite the photo on the box, I somehow did not realize the breadsticks would come out of the box looking like a pizza. I must have missed those curved pieces. I had imagined that there would be a square of breadsticks that would be separated before being microwaved. Not so much.

Frozen pizza... I mean, frozen "breadsticks"

It was basically frozen pizza dough with cheese, garlic and a few herbs.  There were some slice "lines" that made it easier to cut, but it was basically a pizza. Not really what I think of as breadsticks.

The finished product ... pizza strips?

The "breadsticks" were okay.  Dry, not very flavorful, cheesy but not very garlicky.  It was like eating the parts of the Artichoke pizza that didn't have the cream sauce (which was most of it). I don't think we'll get these again. I'll stick to the pizzas.

No comments:

Post a Comment