Saturday, December 18, 2021

Week 22 - Across the Border

When the theme for Week 22 came up as across the border, my initial thought was to cook something Mexican. But as I thought about it more, I realized our closest border was really the one with New Jersey, so why not make something representing New Jersey? Disco fries for dinner!


If you've never had disco fries before, they're similar to poutine - fries covered in gravy and cheese. Although this is usually done with homemade brown gravy and lots of mozzarella cheese, I decided to experiment and make it a vegan night. So our disco fries were made with mushroom gravy (mostly because we already had it in the pantry, thanks to a bizarre Whole Foods grocery delivery substitution; I think we had been trying to get a vegan roast) and vegan mozzarella shreds, and we ate them with mushroom risotto burgers and green beans.


The fries were okay. I don't think the mushroom gravy and vegan shreds worked as well as the usual disco fries ingredients, and I probably needed to add some extra flavor in somewhere to compensate, but maybe we'll try it again whenever we get to our exploration of New Jersey foods!

No comments:

Post a Comment