Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Week 18 - Lime

Lime was the Week 18 challenge, and while there were many savory options for lime, I was just in the mood for cookies. I found a recipe for vegan coconut lime sugar cookies on Short Girl Tall Order, and they looked so amazing that I knew that was the one to try. I skipped the glaze to make my life easier, but the cookies were so good that I didn't miss it at all.


I mostly followed the recipe, other than skipping the icing and not measuring some of the ingredients, which made our ingredient list look like this:

- 1 stick vegan butter (softened)
- just under 1/2 cup of sugar + about 2 tbsp of sugar for rolling
- a few tbsp of shredded dried coconut
- zest of 1 lime
- pinch of salt
- juice of 2 limes (about 2 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 cup + 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda


When baking, I do usually try to stick more closely to the recipe, so first was creaming the butter together with the sugar, dried coconut, and lime zest.

Next was adding the lime juice and ground flaxseed, and once those were mixed together, adding the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, pinch of salt) to form a batter.


That went into the fridge to chill for a bit. It was supposed to be 30-60 minutes, but I exercised and then took a shower, and that whole process took over an hour. It was a bit too cold to work with when I pulled it out, so we let it warm up 10 minutes or so. It was a little crumbly when I started to form the cookie balls, but got easier to work with as time went on.

I made our cookies with a 2 tbsp scoop so we could get more cookies, and ended up with about 15 of them. They all got rolled in sugar before going onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Our sugar cookies always end up looking brown since the sugar we have on hand is usually turbinado sugar.


They baked for 11 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees, then a quick tap on the counter and sitting on the baking sheet for a little longer before moving to the cooling rack. It was only supposed to be 10 minutes, but I lost track of time since I was making dinner and forgot them for a bit. They were still fine and not overdone!

The cookies were delicious and perfect for the lime challenge. That first bite had a really strong flavor of lime. We all loved them, and I would make these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment