Saturday, December 11, 2021

Week 11 - Hard to Pronounce

The hard to pronounce challenge week was a difficult one to decide on. I found myself trying to find some of the most complicated to pronounce dishes I could (something like Herrgottsbescheißerle), and hoping that one of them would be something I would want to make. I just kept finding more and more, so I paused and decided to go for a simpler route - how do you pronounce gyro?


Growing up, my family always pronounced it jai-ro (like gyroscope), and it wasn't until adulthood that I heard it pronounced yee-ro. There are so many pronunciations out there, so it definitely qualified for hard to pronounce week! I followed the chicken gyro recipe on Damn Delicious, subbing store-bought tzatziki for homemade for convenience, and we had some delicious sandwiches. We've made it again since then, since it's a great weeknight/school night meal, as a lot of the work can be done in advance.


The first time we went for the full spread - lettuce, tomato, onion, tzatziki, and wraps (they were out of pita). The second time was a little simpler - just pita, tomatoes, and tzatziki - but still very tasty. This is such an easy and tasty way to make grilled chicken, so we'll probably be seeing it in our rotation more.

No comments:

Post a Comment