Thursday, March 24, 2016

A Spicier Delaney Chicken

A few weeks ago, Delaney Chicken introduced a new "spicier chicken sandwich" to their kiosk at Urbanspace Vanderbilt. We had tried the original chicken sandwich back in the fall and liked it, and we love spicy chicken sandwiches, so we knew we had to try it. The spicier version cost a little bit more ($10 vs. $8), and added havarti, pickled jalapeños, and spicy mayo to the chicken. We also hadn't tried any of the sides before, so we thought this would be a good time to do that (despite having just eaten a whole bunch of macarons).

Spicier Chicken Sandwich


M's review: I was really, really excited about this sandwich, but in the end, I liked the original sandwich better which surprised me. I don't know if Delaney Chicken changed their bread order or if the spicier sandwich comes on a bigger bun, but there was just so much excess bread compared to the chicken. A lot of that bread came with copious amounts of spicy mayo on it so it was basically just spicy globs of bread until I got to the chicken. As for the chicken itself, I think it was fine, but I didn't really taste much of the chicken itself. I just tasted spicy mayo with little hints of chicken, cheese, and jalapeño peppers. I don't know if it was the amount of the mayo or just how heavily flavored it was, but it was really overpowering. While the individual components seemed fine, when put together I think they needed a little bit more balance.

A's review: Maybe I was exhausted from a combination of being sick and having walked around a lot, but I didn't think this was anything special. I certainly think, based on this experience, that the original chicken sandwich is far superior. The chicken itself seemed blander than before, but of course, my taste buds were slightly muted. The big issue was that it was smothered in spicy mayo. Somehow this spicy mayo even managed to drown out most of the sliced jalapeño flavors. The havarti cheese was creamy and added a nice flavor, but most everything got covered up by the spicy mayo which was disappointing.

Potato Salad


M's review: I really liked the potato salad side that we got, and I spent a good portion of the time when eating it trying to figure out what was in it that made it so good. One thing that I definitely noticed was the presence of caramelized onions, and I thought maybe there was some mustard in it too. Turns out I wasn't too far off since this Square site says it is "Yukon and red bliss potatoes folded into a pickled mustard seed, sage, and caramelized onion dressing." I guess sage was the ingredient I couldn't quite determine at the time. I liked this better than the chicken sandwich other than the price as it was $5 for a pretty small cup. If I wanted a side from Delaney Chicken, I might get this again, but what it has really done is inspire me to see what would happen if I add caramelized onions to my own potato salad at home.

A's review: This was a really tasty potato salad. Along with the massive (though almost too big) pieces of potatoes, they added what tasted like caramelized onions and a ton of cracked pepper. There was also a mild bit of mayo as it had just the right touch of creaminess. There was also a nice, subtle sourness which really balanced all of the flavors out. My only gripe is that the little cup cost $5. I feel like for $5 M and I could make a massive load of potato salad. Now that we have an idea on what to do, maybe we'll just try that...

No comments:

Post a Comment