Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Korean Barbecue Seitan Sandwich

Today in NYC was a really cold day. I kept thinking that I might go get some soup to stay warm, but in this weather, food trucks need love too. In the end I opted to visit my normal Tuesday haunt, The Cinnamon Snail. It was late in their day so unfortunately I missed the daily special. In the end I opted for the Korean Barbecue Seitan sandwich.


First impression when I opened this was that this was a really big sandwich. Maybe it was the end of the day and they wanted to clear out their inventory, or maybe it's just this big. I don't know, but whatever the reason, it worked out in my favor. I do have to admit, though, that this didn't taste nearly as good as I think it was meant to. Because of how cold the temperature was outside and the length of my walk back to my office, the sandwich had cooled considerably by the time I got to eating. Because of that, I think I lost some of the overall flavor, and the cooler temperature made it a little less palatable.

All that being said, this was still a tasty sandwich. It had a nice heat from the kimchi and chili butter, and mixed greens were really fresh. From what I saw and tasted, it was a mix of mostly arugula and kale. It offered crunch and freshness to go with the softer seitan and the crispy tortilla. Overall this was a good sandwich, and I think I'll try it again in better weather so that I can give this a fair taste.

As is often the case with me and the good Snail, I got myself dessert. I chose the Hulk Hoagan Fudgie Wudgie more for the name than anything else. It really amused me. Yes, it looked amazing as well.


The donut was similar to most of their others. It was a little drier than non-vegan donuts because of the lack of butter and eggs, but the density actually makes them better for holding toppings. This was hollowed out a touch in the middle and filled with chocolate ganache then topped with crumbles and a chocolate drizzle. It was delicious, and the chocolate was so smooth and rich. I have yet to have a bad donut from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment