Friday, November 21, 2014

Cream of Chicken with Rice

First things first, I read the soup name as cream of chicken with wild rice as that's what I'm accustomed to when it comes to creamy chicken and rice soups. When I sat down and tasted it first, I realized that it was white rice. I was disappointed, but I took the blame on myself for not properly reading the name. I decided that the only fair thing to do was to get rid of any preconceived notions of what this was supposed to be and start fresh.

So, as you guessed, today's soup from Hale and Hearty was their Cream of Chicken with Rice. They describe it on their site as "This is a delicious creamy soup loaded with chunks of white meat chicken, rice, peas and fresh chives."


The soup is indeed full of chicken, rice, peas, and chives, but it also had a fair amount of onion in it. It was also was really creamy, but it didn't have the richness I thought might be present from such a creamy soup. That's not a bad thing, but it was just unexpected. The one thing that I did note was that there wasn't a lot of seasoning. It was a touch bland at points, but the soup got a nice freshness from the peas. They were cooked perfectly to still have some bite to them and not be complete mush. The rice was also the same. In the end, I'm glad I instituted my no tasting rule because I'm sure I would have never bought this otherwise. I will not be getting this again, though. I just didn't think it as that special when compared to some of their other offerings.

No comments:

Post a Comment