Monday, April 22, 2013

Welcome Xi'an Famous Foods

The official grand opening for the new Midtown branch of Xi'an Famous Foods was today. (They soft opened late last week.) Going for opening day lunch was a little bittersweet for me since they're taking the place of the recently shuttered Lebanese spot Karam II, which was one of my favorite places for a cheap, healthy and vegetarian lunch. On the bright side, a good place like Karam isn't being replaced by a crappy place that I'll never go to, but it's still sad that they won't be around for any more fasoulia.

In the announcement about their grand opening a few weeks ago, Xi'an Famous Foods offered a free coupon for their stewed pork burger or spicy cumin lamb burger. Free good food? Yes, please. I've had my coupon printed and ready to go since then, waiting for today. 

My free burger!

The lamb burger usually goes for $3, and contains chopped up pieces of lamb sauteed with jalapenos, onions and scallions (and lots of cumin and other seasonings) and stuffed into a bun (which had a texture similar to an English muffin). Since a lot of people came with their free burger coupons, I watched them make a bunch of burgers, and they all looked delicious.

Spicy cumin lamb burger - looks just like its menu photo

Inside the spicy cumin lamb burger

The lamb burger was delicious. I went to lunch on the early side so that the line would be shorter (good decision considering things were a little slow on opening day), so this was pretty filling. It was a tad bit oily, but I'm willing to look past that for such a delicious sandwich.  I loved all of the seasonings. There was so much cumin that the air in my office smelled like cumin for hours. It made me want another burger by the time 4 pm snacktime rolled around!

I'm so excited for the new location of Xi'an Famous Foods because it means that A and I can go back on the weekend to try more dishes without having to trek downtown. Can't wait to get some noodles for lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment