Monday, April 8, 2013

Every Grain of Rice Preview

We recently purchased Fuchsia Dunlop's Every Grain of Rice after reading so many rave reviews, and this weekend I decided to try out some of the recipes for our next cookbook project.

I was hoping for better light on our dinner table but I am very slow at prep

For a simple introduction to the cookbook, I decided to go with one of the "menu ideas" (suggestions for a complete meal based on the number of people eating) and chose "vegetarian menu 1" for two people. This menu included:

- Smacked cucumber in garlicky sauce
- Pock-marked old woman's tofu (aka ma po tofu)
- Stir-fried beansprouts with Chinese chives

We added some brown rice on the side and then enjoyed our spicy vegetarian dinner.  Recaps of the individual dishes will follow. I think dinner turned out well. I was especially happy with the ma po tofu. It was my first time ever making it and it's a dish I've always liked. We're really satisfied with our cookbook purchase and can't wait to try more!

No comments:

Post a Comment