Saturday, August 4, 2012

Peaches and Bacon

It's summer and for many people summer means peaches.  Num Pang (previously written about here) is celebrating summer with a seasonal special - a grilled summer peach sandwich, only available at their midtown location. 


The peach sandwich consists of a grilled peach, hand-cut bacon, a guinness maple glaze, sauteed scallions (I thought I also saw leeks) and jalapenos.  There's also the usual cucumbers, carrots, cilantro and chili mayo on the soft but sturdy baguette.


I had initially gone there for the Khmer sausage again, but they were sold out.  I surprised myself by getting the peach and bacon instead of a fish sandwich since I'm not a huge fan of fruit on sandwiches or bacon (I know that's an unacceptable statement for many people).  But I had heard good things about the peach sandwich when it was around last year and decided to go for it.


The sandwich was incredibly messy but it was delicious.  It was an explosion of flavors and covered every part of the taste spectrum.  There was sweet (the peach rings), salty (the bacon, which wasn't the crispy thin breakfast bacon I was expecting but thicker slices of meat), spicy (the jalapenos, product of a hot dry summer, were way hotter than I thought they would be), creamy (the chili mayo mixed with the soft peaches), crunchy (carrots and cucumber), lightness (everything but the bacon).  Mixed together, it was really good.  I hope the sandwich sticks around for a few more weeks so A and I can go back and get it together.  So delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment