Saturday, August 4, 2012

Digby's

Digby's Cafe is one of those do-it-all cafes that you find all over midtown (and Manhattan generally).  They have sandwiches, salads, premade offerings in the refrigerated case, and perhaps a little more unique - Mission style burritos (they say).  The other day I had walked all over midtown at lunch since I was lacking lunch inspiration (I hate those days).  I was getting ready to call it a day and drop in at my usual defaults of Potbelly, Earl of Sandwich or Just Salad, when I decided to stop into Digby's Cafe, a place that was still fairly crowded for 2 pm and which I had passed on various other days.  The heat and humidity was so oppressive that afternoon that I decided on salad.


I also think their logo is cute

Digby's salads are $6.99 for a regular size with 8 toppings.  That's a pretty good price for salad.  The 8 toppings break down to 1 protein, 2 "premium" toppings, and 5 regular toppings.  They have multiple options for greens like most of the cafes and I went with baby spinach.  I decided on Tandoori chicken (which just tasted like seasoned chicken), edamame and cheddar cheese for the premium, and then red onions, cucumbers, chickpeas, carrots and tomatoes for the regular toppings.  I finished it off with lite Italian dressing.

It was a good salad.  The ingredients were very fresh and it was mixed well.  I do prefer salads that are chopped but there isn't really a place that will do that and still get you out the door with a salad that is less than $8 (even with my JS card discount).  I liked that it was a flat number of toppings instead of those other places where I end up standing there overworking my brain trying to add up the prices of toppings while choosing to make sure I don't end up with a $12 salad.  I would get this again.

Next time at Digby's I think I might go for one of their hot sandwiches (they have recommended combos as well as make your own combos) or the burritos.  Or if it's really hot again, I could go for another spinach salad!

Digby's Cafe is located on 52nd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues.

No comments:

Post a Comment