Monday, December 6, 2021

Week 6 - English

We've never really been morning people, so when we visited London a few years ago, we never had a chance to try a full English breakfast. Unless B's egg allergy miraculously disappears before our next trip there or we can find a vegan restaurant making one, the closest thing to a full English breakfast we could have would be whatever we can make at home, so the Week 6 challenge theme, English, seemed like the perfect time to try it out.


The traditional full English breakfast, per Wikipedia, consists of bacon, eggs, fried or grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, toast, and sausages, with some plates including black pudding, baked beans, and bubble and squeak. All of that was doable for us, except the eggs would need to be replaced with vegan eggs (and scrambled instead of fried), bubble and squeak was not happening (if you've seen any of my previous attempts, this would be a no-brainer), and I had no idea where we would even find black pudding here.


Since this was a pretty straightforward breakfast, I didn't follow any recipes. Our fry-up ended up containing:
- bacon
- scrambled Just Egg
- grilled tomatoes
- grilled mushrooms
- toast
- vegan apple and maple breakfast sausages
- baked beans
- roasted red potatoes

There are some sites that list potatoes in the English breakfast (like Serious Eats), but until now, I didn't realize that most of them don't. One site even said they were frowned upon as filler. Oops. I guess I merged some typical American breakfast plate ideas into our English breakfast!


While each component wasn't difficult, dinner did take a while to put together, since it was coordinating eight different components. I would make this again though, as I do enjoy breakfast for dinner, and it has a lot of foods we do like as a family. I've learned, now that I've read the Wikipedia link, about all the different regional variations of a full breakfast, so, especially as we head into the UK section of the AtWCC (whenever that is), I can see us exploring this more!

No comments:

Post a Comment