Thursday, December 18, 2014

Sweet and Salty Popcorn Chips

We're big fans of crunchy snacks, and it's not unusual to see a case of Popcorners or Popchips or Special K cracker chips in our apartment at any given time. Last month on the new items rack, Trader Joe's had been displaying these sweet and salty popcorn chips ($1.99). A little "healthier" than your ordinary chips since they have chia seeds, flax seeds, quinoa, and sunflower seeds among their ingredients, we figured we would give them a try.

If you can't read the bag, it says that the picture on the bag shows the actual size of the chip. We were skeptical but it turns out that it was quite accurate...

M's thoughts: When I grab a bag of chips, the flavor profile I'm looking for is usually salty and savory, but I probably should have been tipped off by the "sweet and salty" in the name that this wasn't going to be like that. It reminded me most of kettle-flavored Popcorners, which is my least favorite flavor of that chip and the entire reason I don't buy the variety pack of Popcorners at Costco. If I want something sweet, I have plenty of other options (like almost every other snack in our entire apartment at the moment). These were good chips texturally, and I appreciated the natural and healthier ingredients, but this was just too sweet for me and I only ate a few.
Buy Again? No, but that's personal preference on the flavor and not a negative response to the chip itself. Put these out in a BBQ or sour cream and onion flavor, and it would be a resounding yes.

A's thoughts: I'm a fan of kettle corn. I like the salty and sweet combo, but I know it's not M's favorite. This snack was totally more for me. The texture for these is amazing. It's crisp but also a touch soft. The subtle sweetness didn't overpower the flavor of the chip, and it was basically a flatter version of the best kettle corn I ever had.
Buy Again? I would. I like this type of snack, and I would love to eat more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment