Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Latka Finger

This weekend, we headed over to Sticky's Finger Joint, a spot in the city that specializes in chicken fingers, for their holiday special: the latka finger. I had already made latkes (latka is so hard for me to type; I always spell it latke but will not here since Sticky's doesn't) for the 52 week cooking challenge, which I was not that enthused about, so I was hoping a nice, properly fried latka finger would improve our Hanukkah eats.


For $5, you get a piece of chicken marinated in a mix of buttermilk, onion and applesauce and then coated in a batter of potato, onions and matzo meal, and then fried. (They verbally gave all this detail in the description of the latka finger while we were there, but I promptly forgot it and had to look it up online here.) It comes with small side cups of sour cream and cinnamon-topped applesauce, as well as a piece of gelt. Part of the proceeds go to a nonprofit that fights hunger, so not only are you eating something timely for Hanukkah, you're doing it for a good cause.


Overall, we thought the latka finger was okay. The size was nice - good enough for both of us to split as a snack - but the latka breading just didn't have a ton of flavor to it on its own. (I feel like I'm writing my review of my own latkes again.) Also, since we were cutting the chicken finger instead of biting into it, the latka part often just fell off the chicken, which also contributed to it seeming not that flavorful. The latka finger was definitely improved by dipping. I liked it with the sour cream, which A also used to add flavor to it. So generally it was fine, but not as flavorful as we were expecting it to be.

We're glad that we stopped by Sticky's to try the latka finger as we were really intrigued by it from the moment we read about it since it was so different. Pretty sure that tomorrow was announced as the last day, so if you want to try it, head over now!

No comments:

Post a Comment