Friday, August 16, 2013

A Premium for a McWrap

I think I've been to McDonalds more this summer than I have in the past few years. I get a craving every once in a while for a sausage biscuit and hash browns or a Filet-o-Fish, but that's about it. But between our hunt for the Happy Meal minion toys and occasions when we've been short on time and options (like one night earlier this week), there has been more eating than usual at the Golden Arches.

One (late) night earlier this week we were stuck at the hospital (long story) and ended up grabbing some sandwiches at McDonalds. My parents seem to be fans of the new(ish) Premium McWrap sandwiches (they usually get the ranch version with grilled chicken), so I thought I would try that.


The Premium McWrap can be ordered with grilled or crispy chicken, and comes in three flavors - chicken & bacon, sweet chili chicken, and chicken & ranch. McDonalds advertises that each wrap also comes with "gorgeous fresh vegetables" inside a "soft, warm tortilla." I'm not sure that I've ever had any "gorgeous" vegetables at McDonalds other than the Alvalle gazpacho in Barcelona. That was wonderful. Anyway, I went with the sweet chili chicken because I usually like sweet chili sauce more than ranch dressing.


After I got home, I looked over the McDonalds site to see if there was any truth to their advertising for this particular wrap. They called it a "unique mix of juicy, grilled chicken breast filet, crisp cucumber slices, spring greens, shredded lettuce, all drizzled with sweet chili and creamy garlic sauce, wrapped in a warm flour tortilla." Agree on the chicken, cucumber and shredded lettuce, but spring greens? I didn't notice any spring greens, only the lettuce. It's guess it's entirely possible they were buried on the bottom and I didn't notice because by that point I was trying to stop the sandwich from dripping all over my backpack (at least it was juicy?), but I don't remember them. The sweet chili sauce was there but very mild, with not as much sweet or chili as sweet chili sauces I've had before. I didn't know it was supposed to be creamy garlic sauce, and it just tasted like mayo to me. All that said, the filling inside the wrap wasn't too bad at all. It was tasty and the chicken did have a nice seasoned flavor. It did taste fresh. The worst part, however, was that tortilla. It was cold and alternated between dry and gummy like most fast food tortillas. If only something could be done about that wrapper.


This does taste better than the original version snack wraps, but they also cost more than twice the amount of a snack wrap. One of these Premium McWraps will run you about $4 here in Manhattan. I'm not really sure it's worth that price. It also took forever to get the wrap. We went to McDonalds figuring that it would be quick, but it took over ten minutes to get the sandwiches and it's not like we had huge orders or there was much of a backlog ahead of us. Maybe that's how long it takes for freshly grilled chicken? I suppose that if I got this again, I would get the ranch, since the toppings sound more interesting than sweet chili chicken. Or maybe I'll just stick with the Filet-o-Fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment