Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Week 14 - Forbidden Fruit

When the Week 14 theme came up as forbidden fruit, I wasn't really sure what to do with that. Using the strict definition of forbidden fruit, something desired because it's not allowed, didn't really work, since there isn't much that isn't "allowed" in our kitchen. We don't cook with eggs for food allergy reasons, so I wasn't going to make something with those. I choose not to cook much red meat or to deep fry in our kitchen, but that's a choice, not something forbidden. I ended up deciding to interpret this as "guilty pleasure" instead, something that I want a lot but don't make that often because I'm trying to be mindful of my health. Using that lens, I decided to make some cheddar bay biscuits (yes, I made them for a previous challenge, but it was a good excuse to have them again) and paired them with some shrimp chowder.


When the theme notes finally came out, they did have some other possibilities for how to interpret forbidden fruit. It could be something your spouse hates but you like, but there isn't much A dislikes eating that I enjoy. It could be actual fruit, like apples from the garden of Eden (or grapes or figs) or a sometimes-forbidden fruit like durian. I didn't feel like redoing the challenge for one of those interpretations, and the biscuits really are a guilty pleasure, so that was good enough for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment