Friday, March 15, 2013

Fri(e)day Lunch

I was uninspired by lunch options today. I really had no clue what I wanted, but I knew I wanted to get out and walk a bit. Too often I had stayed within a couple North-South blocks of my office because it was convenient.

I ended up wandering to Domo Taco which I hadn't been to in nearly a year. It wasn't really that much further than I normally walked, but at least it was something different. I thought their tacos were okay if nothing special, but that was their first week or two out, and they were still working out the kinks. Oddly enough I never found myself back at their truck until today. I totally misread their menu and was a miserable failure at ordering, though, probably due to not having visited them in nearly a year...

I ended up ordering just one fish taco and an order of their Japanese tater tots. I say it's a failure because, at my size, one taco and tots just isn't enough food. It actually took me about 5 minutes to realize my error, and by then I felt too embarrassed to go back up and amend/add to the order.  In the end, I happily accepted my bundle and walked off kicking myself for my stupidity. Luckily, fate was on my side this time. Clearly the universe knew that there was more in store for my lunch hour as I passed by Tony's Empanada cart while walking back to the office. Fortune shone on me indeed! I ordered myself a cheese empanada to round out my thoroughly unhealthy meal and happily walked back to my office.


I started out eating the fish taco.


The taco itself is better than my first trip, but overall it isn't anything that special compared to the other Asian fusion tacos out there. The fish was a touch soggy by the time I got back to my desk, but it didn't take away from the overall flavor of the taco. The mix of flavors from their salsa roja, salsa verde, soy miso slaw, and sesame crema had all basically melded together after the journey so I can't comment on them individually, but the overall effect combined with the fish and corn tortillas is one of fresh flavors and varying textures. I almost thought I tasted pineapple somewhere in there and caught myself looking for pieces in the salsas. While I thought that they had improved the taco offerings, I still think this was my least favorite thing I ate today.

I next ate Tony's cheese empanada.


I don't know if the guy running the cart is Tony, but whoever he is, he knows how to sling up some empanadas. For $2, you get a fairly big empanada offering. I opted for cheese since I wanted to get a non-meat lunch for some odd reason. They also have chicken and beef variations available so maybe next week I'll go get some of those. The dough itself is flaky and crispy and has a touch of salt for flavor. The cheese is rich, but it was a little solid as it had cooled a little on my walk back. On its own the empanada tastes great. However, I was given a little cup of their hot sauce, and that was something else. There is some definite heat being packed in this little container of sauce. It also adds a really nice flavor that, for the life of me, I can't remember anymore. All I know is that I ate half of the empanada without sauce so I could comment on the basic flavor, and I'm now regretting it. That's not to say that the empanada on its own isn't good, I just really liked it with the hot sauce.

I saved the Japanese tots for last figuring I would like them the most.


Domo Taco's Japanese Tots are a thing of beauty. They take a small batch of tater tots and proceed to pile on what is, essentially, an okonomiyaki set of toppings. There's Japanese mayo, okonomiyaki sauce, nori, shaved bonito, their salsa roja, and some nacho cheese for good measure. I love okonomiyaki, and this was really just such an amazing little side. I was a little unsure about the nacho cheese, but it really worked. To make sure I got as much of the combined flavors as I could in each bite, I mashed it all together in one gigantic, messy mush. Sure, it's not how I would normally eat tots, but these aren't regular tots. I would certainly get these again whenever I next make it back to Domo Taco's big green truck.

In the end, I was extremely satisfied with my unbelievably unhealthy fried meal. I did manage to keep it meat free, though, and for that I was happy. The lunch may have started out rocky, but it all worked out. Please excuse me now while I go find a place to take a long nap...

No comments:

Post a Comment