Friday, May 27, 2016

Sushi Star

Last fall (I think), a new sushi spot opened up on 9th Avenue that I noticed whenever I would bike downtown, and I was intrigued by what they had to offer. It looked like there was takeout sushi, but they also advertised sushi to order. Recently, I noticed they had a discount through LevelUp, so I thought it was the perfect time to try something new.


There are 2 ways to order at Sushi Star (but I didn't know this until after I had already gotten my food). You can either get pre-made sushi or other food from the refrigerated cases on the side of the restaurant, or you can use their electronic menu and order from an even greater selection of sushi which is then made and brought out to you. Pretty cool idea. In any event, I had already chosen a pre-made "super salmon box," which had a 6 piece salmon avocado roll, plus 3 pieces of spicy salmon roll and 3 pieces of smoked salmon cream cheese roll, along with a small portion of edamame. The cost was $13.95, so after applying my $5 discount and adding tax (I forgot about tax in my initial calculations), it still ended up over $10 in total. I was trying to spend less than $10 after the discount, but didn't succeed.


The sushi rolls themselves were pretty good. I liked the flavors, everything tasted fresh, and the quality of the rolls was on par with sit-down sushi places that we've been to before. The edamame was fine, pretty standard, but a very small portion. My main issue with lunch was the price. That box was the equivalent of 2 sushi rolls plus a little bit of edamame, and without the discount, would have been over $15. Meanwhile, I could order a sushi lunch special to go from one of the sushi places in our neighborhood of similar quality, which would be 2 rolls plus miso soup and a salad, for a little over $11 (regular price). The prices at Sushi Star just seem very high for the amount of food you're getting, and I can't imagine I would be full without spending more than I would like. So while the quality was pretty good, because of how much I would prefer to spend (YMMV), I can't see going there again without a discount of some sort.

Sushi Star is located at 462 9th Avenue in Hell's Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment