Saturday, May 28, 2016

Birthday Frosting Chips Ahoy

We do most of our grocery shopping at Costco and Trader Joe's these days (as if that wasn't evident from all of the previous posts), since it's more convenient than making trips to 5 or 6 different stores every time. Recently we did stop by Stop & Shop to pick up some staples that we can't get at those places, and in the cookie aisle, we stumbled on a whole bunch of Chips Ahoy flavors we hadn't tried before, including these birthday frosting-filled chewy Chips Ahoy.


The picture of the cookie on the package looked like a chocolate chip cookie, but with colored chocolate chips, filled with a white cream that one would imagine was supposed to taste like frosting. There were about 18 cookies in the package which we got on sale for $3.


M's review:
I was really excited about these cookies since I love birthday cake frosting. When I looked up some reviews while in the store, a few commenters remarked that they were so incredibly sweet that it was hard to eat more than a couple of cookies in a sitting, but that sounded perfect to me because it would be an easy way to limit how many I ate at one time. After trying them though, I didn't really think they were that sweet. Sure, they were sweeter than what I remember regular Chips Ahoy cookies being, but they weren't so cloyingly sweet that I had to rush off to get a glass of water and stop eating them. But I just didn't like them that much. They were okay, but I guess I was just expecting more from them. Part of it is that I think I've been spoiled by the charmingly chewy chocolate chip cookies from Trader Joe's, and liked the texture of the TJ's ones so much better than Chips Ahoy. It's been a while since I've had chewy Chips Ahoy cookies, so I didn't realize how much of a difference there was. Sadly, the TJ's ones are now discontinued, but it just reminds me of how much more I liked them. I also didn't think the frosting tasted that much like frosting. The whole thing just tasted like a slightly sweeter Chips Ahoy cookie. It was okay, but I don't need to get them again, and I let A eat most of the package.


A's review:
I'm pretty sure I liked these more than M which is surprising. She's usually the bigger birthday cake frosting lover, and I expected that this cookie was right in her wheelhouse. I figured I'd like them, but I ended up really liking them. I thought that the frosting would be overly sweet and just be a complete sugar bomb, but it was fairly understated. I think that it was even less sweet than the filling in an Oreo. At the end of the day, these were fairly soft, fairly sweet cookies with chocolate chips and candy pieces in them. I liked them a lot, but I'm not sure I liked them enough to want to buy them again. I think I'll just stick to baking my own cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment