Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Week 36 - Yeasted

Oops, fell behind on these recaps again. Where did February go?!


Anyway, back to challenge week 36, yeasted. I made a lot of bread in 2020. I'd say, thanks to some cooking classes, it was the year I actually learned how to make bread versus following a recipe. When this challenge rolled around, it had been a while since I last made bread, so I hoped that it was like riding a bike and I'd remember what to do.


I decided on a garlic parmesan herb bread from The Stay at Home Chef, and started off by setting up the yeast. Only... not much happened. Our yeast had been in the fridge for a while, since we bought a giant bag instead of packets (it was all we could get at the time since everyone was making bread at that stage of the pandemic), so it was definitely possible that the yeast was dead. Or maybe the water was too hot. I tried again with a packet that was definitely not expired. It was better, but I was still worried that it wasn't going to turn out right, since the yeast still didn't feel as "responsive" as in the past.


In the end, the bread turned out fine. I still don't know if anything will top how I felt after the sage bread I made back in 2020 where I was shocked that I actually pulled that off. This one made two small loaves, but it didn't rise quite as much as I thought it would. Still tasty though, and it went well with our roasted asparagus, zucchini, and clam strips. Maybe I just need to bake more bread to remember what to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment