Monday, January 3, 2022

Week 32 - Armenian

Armenian restaurants aren't very common where we are, and I think in our lifetimes, we've only been to two Armenian restaurants total (one in Chicago and one in Tarzana), but I knew fairly quickly what I wanted to make for Armenian week - lahmajoun!


Lahmajoun, also spelled out lahmacun, lahmajun, consists of thin dough topped with, according to Wikipedia, "minced meat, minced vegetables, and herbs, including onions, garlic, tomatoes, red peppers, and parsley, flavored with spices such as chili pepper and paprika, and then baked." We've had it before from Turkish places, and had a lahmajun wrap at the Armenian deli in Tarzana which was amazing. After doing some searching, I found a recipe for a "shortcut" version of lahmajoun at The Armenian Kitchen, and that sounded like exactly what we needed.


The shortcut here was using flour tortillas as the base of the lahmajoun instead of making your own dough. What a genius idea to save time! I mostly followed the recipe, except that I substituted Impossible Burger for the meat and didn't use a food processor for the vegetables (so it did take a little bit longer). They did take a little while to cook since we only have one oven and you could only make so many at a time, but it was still quicker than a lot of our other dinners.


We loved these! We ate them with some tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and parsley on the side, and I was so happy to have found an easy recipe to make something I've liked eating in the past. Will definitely make these again!

No comments:

Post a Comment