Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Ghost Pepper Potato Chips

I love potato chips. I do my best not to eat them too often in an effort to be healthier, but sometimes I really just feel like eating them. Trader Joe's came out recently with a potato chip that intrigued me as soon as I saw the bag. I'm a big fan of spicy food, and when I saw that they made a ghost pepper laced chip, I knew I had to try them. Trader Joe's describes these as, "Ghost Pepper Potato Chips are seriously spicy chips, but if you’re a lover of all things spicy, these will bring pure joy and bliss rather than pain and suffering. Their spiciness is also balanced by the naturally sweet profile of the potatoes themselves—the chili enhances, rather than overwhelms the potato. Crafted exclusively for Trader Joe’s, these are lattice cut chips, so they really hold to their spicy seasoning."


First thing I noticed when I pulled out my first chip was the lattice cut itself. I'm not sure I've ever seen another potato chip cut in this fashion, but I'm beginning to think they all should be. Think of waffle fries but with much thinner cuts and you've got a good idea of what you're getting. The lattice cutting makes for an interesting texture as it crisps up the exterior while also allowing it to still be somehow softer than regular potato chips. I don't really know how to describe it, but it's almost like crisped up mashed potatoes.

Anyway, aside from the amazing texture of these chips, the flavor is really great. As far as heat goes, I would have hoped for more, but I guess it's not great for product longevity if you destroy the mouth of every consumer that tries it with massive spice. There is also that definite hint of sweetness, and the herbs combine to create a really balanced flavor. These might be my new favorite chips, and I'm going to be really sad when they get taken off the shelves after Halloween.

Buy Again? I definitely would. M liked the flavor and the lattice cut too. Although she's not a big potato chip eater, she would also say yes to this. We'll see if I get a chance to buy another bag before they're gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment