Friday, August 14, 2015

Bento Sushi and Noodles

Sorry, it's been a while since I've posted. Work has been busy, and I've been lazy and slacking at my blogging. Anyway...

I had tried going to a bento place that I had read good reviews on earlier this year, but it didn't have any food left, and it wouldn't have had any seats anyway. Time went on, and I resigned myself to not having a replacement for Wasabi Sushi and Bento. Then one day I was in a wandering mood, and I came across Bento Sushi and Noodles. I've been twice now so I'll go through both of my choices.

The way their bento boxes work is that you pick up one of their pre-made sets. Each box contains a salad and a dumpling, but you get to choose between a california roll, a vegetable roll, or two pieces of salmon nigiri. You then tell them at the register which protein you want, and they prepare the rest for you. First time through I got the chicken curry bento box with the salmon nigiri.


I've had quite a bit of Japanese curry in my day. Go!Go!Curry! was a regular haunt of mine back at my old job. Overall, this was a pretty tasty curry. The vegetables and chicken accented the spiced curry gravy very well, and the entire dish had a solid, comfort-food feeling to it. The salad was fairly standard, containing lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and shaved carrots. The dressing I couldn't quite place, but it was cool and refreshing with just the right touch of creaminess. The dumpling was also a pretty standard pork dumpling. The salmon nigiri was really nice. It's rare that you get nigiri in a fast-foodish style sushi place, and this is decent quality. No, you're not getting top quality amazing sushi, but you still get two good sized pieces.

The second time through I opted to get the unagi.


My first time here I didn't want to get the unagi because I figured it'd be a pretty small piece of eel over the rice. My second time coming I saw someone's order and knew I wanted it. The piece of eel is fairly large, and it's cooked up nicely. I think I might ask for less eel sauce if I get this again because they sort of drowned it. I do like eel sauce, but this much made everything a bit too sticky and sweet. I still do love unagi, though, so I'm sure I'll get this again at some point. I got the same sides so there's no point in rehashing that.

Overall, while you won't be getting the most mind-blowing Japanese food experience, you do get a tasty, solid lunch. It's a good amount of food for not a massive dent in your wallet.

Bento Sushi NYC has multiple locations but I visited the location at 685 3rd Avenue, New York, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment