Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Shrimp Cocktail Chiller

I hadn't gone to Hale and Hearty for a bit, and I kept thinking that soup in hot weather (yes, I know about gazpacho) was something I really felt like avoiding. However, one day I passed by one of their stores and noticed a sign for their "chiller" line of soups. Cold soups to match to the hot days we'd been having here in NYC. I was really intrigued by the Shrimp Cocktail Chiller since I'm a huge fan of shrimp cocktail. They describe the soup as "Delicate shrimp simmered with Spanish onions and garlic,combined with all the flavors you'd expect from this classic dish, and a few that surprise. Crunchy and a little spicy, perfect for Summer."


This is an interesting soup. The soup is tomato-based, and there's a definite kick from horseradish. It really tasted like a tart, spicy cocktail sauce. The shrimp was cooked very well. They weren't too chewy, and they had just the right texture. The crunch, from what I could tell, came from what appeared to be jicama. I could be totally off, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Either that or maybe water chestnuts. Anyway, this was a tasty soup, but I think I ended up getting too much. Normally I like to get a large soup and savor that throughout my meal. This soup, however, is fairly tart and has a bit of bite from both the sourness and the horseradish. About halfway to 2/3 through it started getting a bit tough to keep drinking down. It still tasted good, but I think it was just too much. I would recommend getting a smaller size and pairing with a sandwich.

Overall, this is a very tasty cold soup. It does get to be a bit much after a while, but that can be mitigated. I'd definitely recommend this soup to fans of shrimp cocktail.

No comments:

Post a Comment