Saturday, October 26, 2013

Nish Nush

I found myself downtown last week around (late) lunchtime, which was exciting because it meant I got to try someplace new for lunch! I considered visiting the dosa place inside the Tribeca Whole Foods but my desire for falafel won out and I walked over to Nish Nush.

Nish Nush has a bunch of sandwiches, all ranging from $5-8, and I decided to go with the red hot chili sandwich.

Sandwich assembled in the basket

The red hot chili sandwich has roasted pepper falafel (which the menu says is supposed to be spicy), hummus, lettuce, Israeli salad and pickles inside a whole wheat pita. It also comes with a small plastic container of pickles on the side (hiding behind the sandwich in the photo).

Close-up inside the roasted pepper falafel

I didn't find the sandwich too spicy, but there was a nice zesty flavor to the falafel that differentiated it from your regular run-of-the-mill falafel. It was like it was infused with red pepper flakes. The sandwich itself felt very light since it was just topped with hummus and salads. There are some sauces on the tables that you can add, but I didn't end up using much since the falafel had a pretty good flavor on its own.

I thought the falafel sandwich was good, but not as filling as some others (I'm thinking about our favorite Taim). I think next time I would be interested in trying the deluxe sandwich. It includes all three types of the falafel they offer - the regular green, the red roasted pepper that I got this time, and a spinach/mushroom falafel. That sounds like a good way to sample the best of what they have!

Nish Nush is located in Tribeca at 88 Reade Street (corner of Reade & Church).

No comments:

Post a Comment