Sunday, November 20, 2022

Week 16 - Layered

When I hear layered, my first thought is usually lasagna, but I had no interest in making lasagna for the Week 16 challenge. After googling "layered recipes," I stumbled on a 5 layer casserole on Taste of Home that was attributed to Dolly Parton. I couldn't find any actual evidence of Dolly Parton making said casserole or talking about it, but multiple sources mentioned that this famous layered casserole is supposed to be one of her favorites, so why not try it?


The five layers were potatoes, meat (used Impossible Burger), onions, tomatoes, and green peppers. I seasoned each layer (twice for the potatoes, since there were two layers) with salt, pepper, sometimes onion powder, sometimes the green goddess seasoning from Trader Joe's (love that stuff), and also added cumin, paprika, and garlic powder when I cooked the meat. I don't know how much seasoning would have been in the "original," but ours had plenty.


Outside of cooking the meat, everything else was just prep, and the casserole cooked in the oven for two hours. Long cook time so it was a late night, but if I had started on time, things would have gone better. Overall, we thought the casserole was really good. Again, no idea if it's really Dolly Parton's or if it's just a rumor, but it was a great dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment