Sunday, November 13, 2011

Gaufres, Moules et Chocolat

Last year, we visited Belgium for the first time, taking in the sights in Antwerp, Brugge and Brussels. It was a great trip and we hoped the Belgium kiosk would bring back great memories.


3 food items for which Belgium is well-known are waffles, mussels and chocolate. All 3 were on the kiosk's menu.


Steamed mussels with roasted garlic cream and a baguette ($3.75):


On our Belgian trip, we had gone to Chez Leon, a somewhat touristy but still tasty place in central Brussels, which had all you can eat mussels on the night we visited. Those mussels were delicious. We doubted that these could be as great as those, but hoped they would be good.

M's take: The mussels weren't bad. They were cooked correctly and weren't overdone or chewy, which was good. The garlic cream sauce wasn't bad, although I prefer mussels in a tomato-based or lighter sauce.

A's take: The mussels were great. Cooked perfectly and with very little grit. The garlic cream sauce wasn't as heavy as I thought it might be, and it tasted great. I liked the mussels I had in Brussels better, obviously, but for festival food, this was very well done.

Belgian waffle with berry compote and whipped cream ($3):


M's take: The waffle was pretty good, especially with the berry compote (I'm not a big fan of whipped cream). But I don't remember that much about it, which means it must not have been as good as some of the other wafels we've had, here or in Belgium.

A's take: Eh, we've had some really good Belgian wafels in our lives, and this one just didn't live up to those. The waffle was chewy as is the norm, but it didn't have the sweetness and sugar crunch that the better wafels have. The berry compote was good. Nice and tart to counterbalance what should have been the sweetness of the waffle. The whipped cream was whipped cream.

Guylian Belgian chocolate seashell truffles ($1.75):


M's take: The seashell truffles came in a sealed package. Not sure what I was expecting but a little sealed box wasn't it. The mobile site calls this "a tasty twist on a decadent dessert favorite" but I'm not really sure what decadent dessert they're referring to. The mobile site also says the truffles are "elegant, smooth and fruity, with a finish of bold spice and bitter orange." I thought they were really good with a complex chocolate flavor, but I didn't feel the need to go back for more.

A's take: I like chocolate, and these weren't bad. I didn't get the decadence they advertised, but I did get a hint of orange. The chocolate tasted good, but in the end it was just chocolate. We had Dumont chocolate in Brugges, and that was amazing.

Favorite dishes at the Belgium kiosk:
A: Mussels
M: Waffle (I may not remember it now, but I made my favorites list at the festival and picked this)

No comments:

Post a Comment