Monday, October 10, 2011

Lapsang Souchong

If you're familiar with lapsang souchong tea, what is it supposed to smell like?
 
I can't find any of my boxes of tea in my office (despite moving offices months ago, I still have not really unpacked), so I am working on the random assortment of tea in the only box I can find.  Most of it is herbal or caffeine free tea, so the remaining supply is slowly dwindling. I picked out the last bag of lapsang souchong tea this afternoon and the first few whiffs of tea reminded me of what I always think when I make lapsang souchong.
 
It reminds me of Quaker instant grits in country bacon flavor.
 
Crazy, right?  Is it because they're both a little bit smoky? I don't know exactly why it reminds me of grits but it's the first thing I think of every single time I uncover my cup of lapsang souchong tea. I haven't even eaten that flavor of grits since I was a kid and used to get the assorted grits pack at the grocery store. Is this association normal?

No comments:

Post a Comment