Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Week 6 (2024) - Normandy

Normandy is a region in Northern France, and while I have a general familiarity with French cuisine, I wasn't sure what dishes in particular came from Normandy. After reading through a bunch of recipes, I found a bunch of ingredient that were repeated over and over - cheese, cider, apples, and alcohol, specifically Calvados, an apple brandy that is only made in Normandy. I had no interest in cooking with alcohol for this challenge, which eliminated a bunch of dishes that seemed like they wouldn't be quite the same if modified, and my lactose intolerance doesn't really love creamy cheeses like Camembert, also from the region. So finding a recipe for this challenge ended up being far more difficult than I thought it would be!


I eventually settled on endives au jambon (endives with ham), a specialty of Northern France and Belgium, based on recipes from Pardon Your French and Complete France. The endives are cooked first until tender, then wrapped in ham, and then covered with a rich Mornay sauce (basically a béchamel plus grated cheese, which was gruyere in this case). The second recipe topped it with some breadcrumbs and cheese, which I also added. The endives are then baked and sometimes broiled, but I skipped the broiler step since we don't have any sort of bowl-like vessel that's broiler-safe. It turned out fine with just baking, but was missing that nice browned layer on the top.


The only real issue that I found when planning out the cooking was that I had three endives that totaled about 230 grams, while the main recipe I was following had four endives that were around 200 grams each. Big difference. That did mean that the endives cooked faster, but it also meant that I was going to have way too much sauce. Rather than cutting down the sauce recipe since my brain was feeling a little tired, I decided to just use the sauce on top of some celery we had in the fridge that needed to be cooked soon. Surprise celery gratin! I searched to find out the origins of celery gratin to see if I could link it back to Normandy in some way, but couldn't find anything that said that.


The endives were really tasty. Very rich and heavy, definitely not something we would eat all the time, but good. (I say that, but I said that the last time I made celery gratin too, and here we are again, a couple months later, with another celery gratin. It's a good way to use up warehouse club-sized packs of celery.) Perhaps in the future, whenever we get to France, I'll find some way to make some other dishes representing Normandy, but for now, satisfied with how this challenge turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment