Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Week 2 (2023) - Cabbage

Coming off a challenge year where I made a lot of salads including shredded cabbage, I did not want to do that for the week 2 cabbage challenge. I searched cabbage recipes for a bit until I found one on The Kitchn for a caramelized cabbage butter pasta. That sounded delicious and cozy for a winter night.


I am not a huge fan of buying whole cabbages. I think my hourlong cleaning adventure with a Savoy cabbage back when I first started cooking for real is probably the cause of that, even though working with the green cabbage from our cabbage rolls a couple of years ago wasn't as bad. Since the recipe offered an alternative of buying pre-shredded cabbage to save time, and since the cabbage was going to end up shredded anyway, that sounded like the best option for convenience. I ended up getting a cole slaw mix with carrots in it too, but more vegetables are always welcome.


It did take a little bit of time to soften and caramelize the cabbage, and I didn't start with quite enough butter in the beginning, but once it was finished, it tasted really good. We don't usually make plain buttered pasta, but I definitely see how it is a comfort food for so many people. This was really good, especially the parts where the cabbage combined with the melted parmesan cheese. I don't know if we would make it again any time soon, since B hasn't been interested in cabbage yet, but it's good to know this recipe is here if we ever need/want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment