Thursday, November 12, 2020

Week 45 - Sous Vide

When the Week 45 challenge came up as sous vide, I was really happy that I wasn't officially participating in the challenge, because I had zero desire to do this. I participated in the sous vide challenge back in 2016, making some salmon that actually turned out really well, but there were a bunch of reasons I didn't want to do it this time:

1. We still don't have a sous vide machine, and the effort and attention required to rig up an alternative arrangement (beer cooler or oven or stovetop) and keep the temperature steady was more than my brain wanted to deal with at the moment.

2. The last time I did this with salmon, if it didn't come out right, I was okay with taking the small chance of something going wrong with A and I eating maybe raw, maybe sort-of-cooked salmon, but I'm not willing to chance that on our toddler's developing digestive system.

3. If I tried doing something sous vide and it did turn out poorly, it would have been a lot more difficult to put together a late plan B dinner with a toddler who needed to eat and had been surrounded by the sounds and smells of cooking for so long.

Honestly, I just didn't want to do it, and so I didn't. On to Week 46! (Or, on this blog, backwards to all the posts I haven't finished/written yet!)

No comments:

Post a Comment