Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Beet Hummus

Now that we keep checking the hummus aisle at Trader Joe's, we have been finding lots of new and interesting things. One thing that immediately caught our eye recently was this container of bright purple beet hummus ($2.29). We love beets and we love hummus, but we've never had them together like this. We were curious to see what this would be like.


A's take: This was really interesting looking. I had no idea what to expect as I love hummus and beets together in pitas and wraps, but I've never had them mixed together like this. I thought that maybe it would be hummus with beet pieces swirled in which would account for the chunks of beets and the beautiful red color, but that really wasn't the case. In the end it really just tasted like blended up beets with beet chunks mixed in. That's not to say it's bad, I do love beets, but it had no discernible hummus flavor. I like the flavor of beets, but I'd rather have whole beets that I can cut up if I'm going to eat them. If I want a beet puree I'll make it myself.
Buy Again? I wouldn't. As I noted, I prefer whole pieces of beets, which this does contain, but only sort of. I like the flavor since it's really just beets, but if you call something beet hummus, I want beets and hummus.



M's take: Similar to A, I wasn't sure what to expect from this beet hummus either. I loved the color (although it wasn't as bright as the photo, it was more of a deep magenta) and I hoped it would be full of the flavor of beets. It was, but like A mentioned, it tasted like beets but not at all like hummus. Perhaps the point of calling it hummus was just to substitute the word "hummus" for "spread." It was basically a thick beet spread. It tasted good, but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be.
Buy Again? Probably not. We love beets, but just weren't very enthusiastic about this product. Interesting concept, though.

TJ's Hummus Rankings: Spicy hummus dip > Roasted garlic hummus > Beet hummus

No comments:

Post a Comment