Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Week 8 - Flu Remedies

They just announced Week 8 of the 2023 challenge, so I better start getting these 2022 posts done...

Khichdi is one of those comforting dishes, kind of like congee, that are so soothing when you're sick. I am so slow at recapping that I made this almost a year ago now, and as a result, my memories, other than what I wrote in our cookbook, are a little hazy. One of my resolutions this year is to be better about these recaps and catching up, because otherwise I won't remember what I liked and how I made it! (Note: I wrote that in the beginning of January, and I have been better about this year's posts but just haven't put them up yet.\ because I'm not done with 2022!)


I found this recipe for dal khichdi on Indian Healthy Recipes, and liked that it was a quick Instant Pot recipe. The ingredient list was long, including rice, moong dal, lots of spices and seasonings, and vegetables (tomato, green beans, potatoes, and spinach for us). We had most things in the pantry already, just not the moong dal and the asafoetida (I had recently gotten rid of our old one, since we bought it in London back in 2015), so it was also a convenient meal to make.


Gathering the ingredients and measuring things was probably the hardest part of this recipe, and even that wasn't very difficult. For prep, the rice and dal soaked for a little bit, the only thing I had to chop was an onion since I used a bunch of cans, and then it was just measuring things out. Ingredients got added to the Instant Pot a little at a time while sautéing, and then once the water went in, that was it. Set the Instant Pot to go, let it cook on high pressure for about 8 minutes, release, and done. I love easy meals like that.


The khichdi was really warming, comforting, and tasty. It was also great timing for this challenge, as I was actually sick when I made this. Seemed to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment