Sunday, August 29, 2021

Week 33 - One Color

Challenge week: 33
Theme: One color


Theme note: I'm a big proponent of eating the rainbow, so the idea of eating just one color for a whole meal didn't really appeal to me. (A lot of the submissions I've seen on Reddit since I made this were so creative in making balanced meals, but I lacked culinary inspiration and creativity when I was choosing.) Instead I made a dish with multiple ingredients of one color with some sides that brought in some others.

What we made: Tortilla espaƱola (yellow onions, yellow potatoes, Just Egg)


How much it cost (with estimated breakdown): Very estimated, since not only did I not write this down after making it sans recipe, but I didn't even take an ingredient photo. Thinking $5.67 for the tortilla, with an additional $3.50 or so for the carrots and mushrooms on the side.
- 1 yellow onion ($0.50)
- 1 can of diced potatoes ($1.99)
- 1 container of Just Egg ($3.15)
- salt and pepper ($0.03)


Challenge quick review: We were really impressed with how well the tortilla espaƱola came out. Did it sink in the middle once moved to a plate instead of being solid like a cake like the ones we've had at restaurants? Yes. Was the texture a little different because ours was vegan? Yes. Did it need more potatoes? Maybe. But did it taste good? Yes. It was really easy to prepare, but I never could have made it without A's help because the flipping part was both difficult (such a heavy pan) and intimidating (what if it all fell apart?).

As a side note, I made this less than a month ago, and I was already having trouble remembering exactly what I used, what I did, etc without notes or photos. I have a lot of weeks to catch up on, so some of them I think are going to just be photos of completed challenges without much detail. Sorry. Apparently the stress of 2021 and all the sleep deprivation has meant these things just don't stick in my brain anymore if I don't take notes. Currently stuck at home sick, so time to push to get all the past challenge posts done, so I can write better current posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment