Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Piccolo Cafe "Lunch Sandwich"

Located on 40th street close to 8th avenue is Piccolo Cafe. I remember when it first was opened I kept thinking I should try it because it had a very rustic look to the architecture and design, and the food sounded good. For some reason, it took me years before I actually ended up going. I went a couple of times last year, but I never ended up writing about it. Not because it wasn't good, but I was much lazier about blogging back then. But hey, no time like the present to continue my diligence with writing right?

Today I went and got their "lunch sandwich" which is a special sandwich that they have yet to name. In fact, my order was written as "new sandwich". The new sandwich contains chicken, mustard, arugula, roasted peppers (both red and yellow), and buffala mozzarella all on a nice country loaf.

"Lunch Sandwich"

After I took a bite, I realized that this was actually the first sandwich I got from them last year as well so at least I'm still reviewing that first meal. The sandwich itself is extremely well balanced. The chicken doesn't have a great deal of flavor, but it doesn't have to because the rest of the sandwich is so full of flavor. The mozzarella is wonderfully creamy and not overly salty. The roasted red and yellow peppers are nice and sweet, and the arugula adds that nice spice that it's known for. The mustard ties it all together with a bit of heat and some much needed acidity. The bread, I think, is a nice toasty ciabatta. It's perfectly toasted to give that crunch from the crust but still be nice and chewy on the inside.

The sandwich, and all of their sandwiches, also comes with a little side salad.

Not the greatest picture of the salad

As you can see, the side salad comes in a little clear plastic cup. I find this to be very nice as the included oil and vinegar dressing can be easily shaken up to coat the mixed field greens. It's a nice refreshing addition to the meal.

Overall I find that the sandwich and salad are a very satisfying meal. It's a little on the pricier side of Midtown lunching, but for the amount of food you get, it's very much worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment