Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Mausam Curry N Bites

One of the newer food trucks is the Mausam Curry N Bites truck, bringing Indian food to the streets of the city.  It's a spinoff of the Mausam restaurant in New Jersey, and offers rice dishes, biryani, kati rolls, chaat and samosas (all of which I love).


The rice dishes on the menu are split up into the "curry rush" section, with pre-designed combinations, and another section where you can choose your curry and style.  I went with curry rush since it was my first time there, and am not sure exactly how the mix and match works.  Any adventure for next time, perhaps.


After much deliberation, I decided to go with the chicken curry from the curry rush menu ($9).  In addition to the chicken curry over rice, there was also a salad, and it came with one side (chapati) and a soda (I don't drink soda but got a Diet Coke for A).


The chicken was tender and the curry sauce was really flavorful and tasty.  I liked that, unlike some Indian places, it didn't seem too oily or heavy.  According to the menu, the curry sauce is an onion-based creamy spiced sauce.  I just wish there had been even more of it for the rice to soak up.


The salad was a good accompaniment for the rice, very light and crisp. There was romaine lettuce, tomatoes and onions, all chopped up, mixed with a light dressing and topped with some sort of spice powder.


The chapati side was buttery like a croissant, very flaky and chewy, just as I like it.


I had a good experience with lunch from Mausam and it was absolutely worth getting stuck in the rain on the way back to the office.  I definitely recommend lunch from this truck and can't wait to try more.

No comments:

Post a Comment