Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mooncake Delivers

Tonight we didn't feel like cooking so we ordered from Mooncake Foods. I ordered from them last week at work and it was delicious. I was so excited that I found a new place to add to my work dinner rotation! The food was healthy and full of flavor - exactly what I'm looking for when stuck in the office.

Our first appetizer was the same one I ordered at work - the cold jicama spring rolls. The spring rolls consist of wheat paper with jicama, cabbage, shiitake mushrooms, carrots, glass noodles and mint inside. There's also a spicy red chili dip.


I like these spring rolls, especially with the hot sauce, but I can only take so much of it. I ate more of it at work that day and ended up sucking on ice cubes for about half an hour afterwards. (It also made my tongue sting when I got to the mustard vinaigrette in my salad.) But the rolls are really tasty and healthy. I love finding good rolls that aren't fried. A really liked these.

Our second appetizer was the peashoot dumplings. They were basically dumplings of pea shoots and garlic.


Since they're steamed dumplings, they were pretty healthy as well. When biting into the dumpling, there isn't any filler. It's really just pea shoots and garlic. I loved that it really tasted like the vegetable itself (pea shoots are awesome) instead of covering it up or chopping it into little pieces and mixing it with filler. I appreciated that it was real and good for us to eat. But between the dumplings and the spring rolls, I think we would both vote for the spring rolls if we had to choose only one.

For our "main courses" A and I decided to go with salads (trying to be healthy). A got the lemongrass shrimp and rice noodle salad (lemongrass marinated shrimp, cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, mesclun, Thai basil, cilantro, jalapenos, rice noodles, Vietnamese ginger chili dressing) and I got the grilled chicken buckwheat noodle salad (grilled chicken, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, mesclun, buckwheat soba noodles, ginger cilantro pesto dressing).


We both really liked our salads. I loved every bite of mine and didn't need the extra green sauce that they provided (which I used last time when I got a different salad). It was so good. The buckwheat noodles soaked up the dressing so well, and I love cilantro so I loved it. A thought his was pretty good although he didn't really taste the lemongrass in the shrimp and the jalapenos were super spicy so he didn't eat them all.

Mooncake has a lot of choices on their menu. In addition to delivery, they recently opened a new branch in Hell's Kitchen so we can go there too. Plenty of things to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment